Saturday, December 3, 2016

February 2016 Hackathon! (home office edition)


Tonight I've got three whole hours of freedom! And what is the obvious choice on how to spend that time...Hackathon! I don't know if you can actually call it a hackathon if it only has one participant and it ends before 10:00pm, but too bad, I'm going to anyways!
What: Classroom Queue - A graphical application for moderating in-person discussions.
Why: Seems like a neat idea for integrating a little bit of light tech into the classroom or for helping that outspoken individual(s) in your meeting to give all participants a chance to voice their thoughts. Had the idea since November of last year and it's time to put it into action!
Technical Details: I've been having a lot of fun with JavaFX lately, so I will be using Java for this project.
Updates:
(06:00p) Starting to sketch layout of UI.
(06:12p) Planning the code structure and flow of control.
(06:55p) Have the idea worked out and sketched in my notebook. Starting with the GUI for the client first and its associated controller class.
(07:45p) The client UI and controller is done. Didn't realize I was so picky about this kind of stuff (Yes I did). Good news is the server/host UI isn't too radically different. On to the host UI!
(08:14p) Finished the host UI and implemented its controller class. Going to add logic for buttons and text retrieval then onto the network stuff.
(08:23p) Added some abstract classes for my client/server model. Deciding not to use the open source client/server framework at this time since it's a good opportunity to relearn some of this. UI took longer than I thought. Planning on doing a followup hackathon to get this thing functionally complete.
(08:44p) Going to call this hackathon fifteen minutes early so I can give Oats the rabbit(@instant.oats) some time to run around. Until next time!
*Disclaimer: I don't own that really cool image at the top of my post. It was taken from glassdoor at this link: https://www.glassdoor.com/Photos/Vokal-Office-Photos-IMG298681.htm If you represent the owner of this image and don't want me using it, feel free to contact me and I can replace it with a different one.

No comments:

Post a Comment